Wednesday, July 16, 2008

In the beginning...

The title for this post has nothing to do with what I plan on writing, it just seemed like an auspicious way to begin a new blog and hopefully ensure healthy readership numbers over the years. :-)

But seriously folks, the idea behind this blog is to chronicle my adventure into the land of coupons. Whenever my husband and I sit down to figure out where all our money goes, inevitably we find that grocery shopping makes up a huge chunk of our expenditures. So, after hearing a story on NPR yesterday about the resurgence of couponing I decided that it would be beneficial to educate myself about this age-old technique.

A few thoughts as I venture into this are as follows:

1) I have an MBA and am fascinated by the workings of businesses and how they make money. As a result, I am fundamentally skeptical of how much money a consumer can actually save via a system that is run by companies themselves.

2) I am in the extremely fortunate position that while my family doesn't have barrels of cash lying around to spend on weekly pedicures and designer clothes, we don't actually need to clip coupons in order to survive so I can be kind of philosophical about this whole process.

3) Admittedly, we are kind of food snobs in our family-- we like (and cook with) things like foie gras, truffle oil, and stinky blue cheese. (Well my husband is the brave soul who has actually ordered foie gras and both grilled and made torchon with it)

4) I buy many organic foods, and am interested in buying local food when I can which might make the couponing thing a bit more difficult-- but we'll see.

5) We have a busy family life with two kids, two jobs, two dogs and a house so I'm not going to be able to spend like 12 hours a day surfing the web for coupons-- it will probably be more like 15 minutes a day so I'm interested to see if that pays off.

So with that, here I go off into this new land of coupons. Ideas and thoughts welcome...

No comments: