Saturday, July 19, 2008

Playing with html

We have two lovable dogs. One of them has terribly itchy skin and in the past month has started to lose some fur on her back. We have had some luck with prednisone to control the itching, but the various (and expensive) shampoos and creams suggested/prescribed by our vet have not seemed to help. Raw pet food is all over the internet as a possible cure for itchy/allergic dogs and a means for improving overall pet health. If you think people can get persnickety about ingredients in their food, you should see the ingredients some people will apparently pay to feed their dogs. Food for dogs. Little animals. Animals who can't tell the difference between a terrorist and Mike the mild-mannered mailman. I love my dogs, don't get me wrong, but holy mother of god! Organic kale? Antibiotic and hormone free duck liver? My children--who are pretty well fed-- do not eat food this good. My frugal (and yes, perhaps provincial) New England sensibilities are getting quickly offended. Sorry for the rant. I am now going to attempt to figure out 1) how much this fancy-pants pre-made stuff costs and 2) if I can make it at home for substantially less, including costs for my labor because I am a busy gal these days. Any way you cut it, this is a pricey endeavor:

Raw Diet Comparison

Type of FoodFood Price (for 8 Lbs)Shipping/laborEffective price per poundPounds needed per dayTotal cost per month (30.5 days)
Primal Pet Food (Beef Patties)$37.29$31.29$8.571$261.46
Darwin's Natural (Beef and Veggie)$30.00$8.00$4.751$144.88
Beef, potato, veggie home made$19.62$7.50$3.391$103.40

No comments: